What is The Hatchery?
The Hatchery is Chicago's premier food business incubator helping local food and beverage entrepreneurs scale successful businesses.
A joint venture between three of Chicago’s most prominent nonprofits—Accion Chicago, ICNC, and IFF—The Hatchery intends to meet demand for three major areas of need for food and beverage entrepreneurs: access to production space, financing, and resources—all under one roof.
From pre-concept to business acquisition, The Hatchery provides a full suite of services for Chicagoland entrepreneurs specific to industry needs. We are a one-stop-shop.
Hatching a new facility in 2018
Our new venture will include:
- Space for 75-100 food industry entrepreneurs in a 67,000 sq. ft. facility
- 56 private food-grade production spaces
- Cold and dry storage, loading docks, and food truck allocation
- Shared kitchen
- Ideation and event space
- Co-working, office, and meeting rooms
- On-site service providers
- Training, coaching, and industry-specific support for entrepreneurs
- Headquarters for Accion Chicago, who will be an anchor tenant at the facility and provide access to loan capital to the tenants and members
Why a Food Incubator?
- Food businesses create good jobs with relatively low corresponding educational requirements
- There is a lack of affordable food grade spaces available for rent and combined with the high upfront cost to build out a food grade space creates a significant barrier to growth for food entrepreneurs
- The Hatchery will remove these barriers to growth and create good jobs in the City of Chicago
- The Hatchery will be a nonprofit located in Chicago’s East Garfield Park neighborhood on the corner of Kedzie and Lake Avenue
- Access to two CTA rail lines, a Metra line, CTA bus service
- 31-member community garden network and a resident-led Neighborhood Market (which will run year-round and will be housed on The Hatchery grounds)