ICNC works to strengthen the companies in the Kinzie Industrial Corridor on Chicago’s Nearwest Side Community. In addition to representing and providing assistance to hundreds of companies in its community, ICNC owns and operates Make City, a small business incubator which houses 100 small business tenants in its 416,000 square foot facility. ICNC co-owns The Hatchery, a new food and beverage manufacturing incubator, where this position will be located.
The Hatchery Chicago is a non-profit incubator that helps food & beverage entrepreneurs grow their businesses. It is a one-stop-shop aiming to solve three major challenges in the industry: access to production space, financing, and resources. The Hatchery is set in one of the largest food & beverage incubators in the U.S. and is among the first to be built from the ground up.
Position Activities and Responsibilities: The Kitchen Assistant is an energetic individual who ensures our kitchens run smoothly by maintaining a safe, clean, and friendly work environment for our members. A quick learner that is comfortable in a fast-paced environment with constant change. Passionate and excited about helping entrepreneurs grow their food and beverage businesses.
- Helping to manage and enforce kitchen SOPs within the facility for both private and shared kitchens.
- Training and monitoring members as they work in the shared kitchen, private kitchens and other areas of the facility.
- Overall sanitation including garbage and recycling disposal.
- Recording any and all-important activities as they relate to food safety and facility maintenance.
- Supporting members in maintaining cleanliness in main shared kitchen; including daily cleaning of dish room and equipment along with general cleaning like sweeping, mopping and handling trash/recycling and deep cleaning as scheduled.
- Upholding health and safety regulations in accordance with local, state and federal law by following standard operating procedures and policies.
- Allocating storage rentals as needed and ensuring a clean and safe storage environment for members.
- Checking residents out of stations and verifying station cleanliness after each use.
- Proactively addressing member needs as they arise and promptly responding to kitchen resident inquiries.
- Completing daily checklists
- Managing storage supplies.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Must have Illinois Food Handlers Certification; Illinois Food Manager Preferred
- Prior experience working in commercial kitchen environment
- Must have an understanding of food service chemicals, operating and troubleshoot commercial kitchen equipment
- Prior experience in a customer-facing role
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with co-workers and kitchen members.
- Able to work independently, without direct supervision, and take ownership of the environment in which you work.
- Self-starter that is energetic, creative, & proactive
- Customer service skills
- Flexibility in learning new things and has an eye for detail
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds
- Much time spent monitoring kitchen and storage activities while ensuring cleanliness of facility.
Position Structure and Benefit Incentives:
This is a full-time position; 40 hours per week; evening and weekends expected
Benefit incentives includes: One week paid vacation to start and one week personal/sick time off, participation in group health insurance plan, SIMPLE IRA, short and long term disability and life insurance; training and career development opportunities available
How to Apply:
Please email letter of interest, current resume, and three professional references to:
Note Kitchen Assistant position in email subject line
For further information about the organizations, please visit the Hatchery Chicago’s website at www.thehatcherychicago.org or ICNC’s website at: www.industrialcouncil.com.
The Hatchery Chicago, ICNC and the Impact Culinary program are equal opportunity employers and provides a smoke-free, drug-free work place.